Download our FREE smartphone app today!
What is the intention of the KS1 and KS2 PE Curriculum?
A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Through the teaching of PE we intend to:
- enable pupils to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination
- encourage pupils to work and play with others in a range of group situations
- develop the way pupil perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities
- show pupils how to improve the quality and control of their performance
- teach pupils to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise
- develop the pupils enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination
- develop an understanding in pupils of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success
- assess pupils learning, analyse and interpret the results to inform future planning and lessons
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives